Friday, November 05, 2010

Thyne and Pritchett Want To Take Williams' Place On Council


Last night, both John Thyne and David Pritchett confirmed to me that they will indeed be throwing their sombreros into the ring to fill the vacancy on the Santa Barbara City Council that was created by the election of Das Williams to the State Assembly.

Both Pritchett and Thyne ran for City Council a year ago but failed to get elected placing sixth and eighth respectively in a very crowded field of 13 candidates. (The top four vote getters won seats on the council.)

In an interview with me in 2009, Thyne described himself as a "moderate" with no political party affiliation who supports intelligent growth but cherishes the character of Santa Barbara.

Thyne is a partner in the real estate brokerage of Goodwin and Thyne which is an advertiser on this blog.

Late last night Pritchett told me, via e-mail, "Yes, I will apply. I owe that to the thousands of people who voted for me last year, and to my wife (Cathy Murillo) who has such tremendous faith in me."

Pritchett is a civic activist, an observer of city hall and has served on the City's Transportation and Circulation Committee.

If you're thinking of applying for the Council the deadline to submit an application is November 29. The City Council will interview candidates on December 7 and will appoint a replacement on December 14. Whomever is appointed will serve out the remainder of Williams' term through January 10, 2012.
© 2010 by Craig Smith and www.craigsmithsblog.com