Wednesday, August 28, 2013

That Grown-Up Feeling

By Taryn

So, ever since I was a little girl I've been obsessed with the idea of being "grown up." I still am. I'm pretty well done with high school at this point. Hence, why I spend much of my time writing this blog. (Which as far as I know, no one under the age of 22 reads.)

Here's a list of things that make me feel like a grown up. (In case you were wondering."

  • Not being called "sweetie or sweetheart."
  • Using my school ID to get through airport security. (Yes, this actually happens to me frequently.)
  • Having a state ID so I hopefully won't be turned away when I try to see an R-rated movie at the Paseo Nuevo theater. (I tried to see "Spring Breakers" twice with no success because apparently my school photo ID with my birth date on it isn't a valid form of identification.)
  • Going to parties and events with writers and media people with my dad. (It's strange being the youngest one in the room but it makes me feel awesome.)
  • Using my debit card to pay for things. (Pretty self-explanatory.)
  • Having business cards. (This is kind of frivolous, but it's a self confidence booster.)
  • Having multiple email addresses. (This is a weird one.)
  • Seeing and being emailed by blog readers. (No matter what it's really about it makes my day. It also gives me hope that I may actually be good at what I love to do. Also the fact that it's frequently writers, lawyers, media people, that read my posts and email me because they want to, not because they have to.)
  • Yes, I know that being a "grown up" has a lot of crappy stuff to go along with it, like taxes, insurance and having to go to real prison if convicted of a crime. But, I'll leave it to the adults to deal with that.