Tuesday, August 20, 2013

As I Was Saying . . .

(Ed. note. After a long hiatus (but who's counting?) my daughter is back to blogging. Here's her post)

By Taryn

I've officially decided that Mindy Kaling is my hero. For those of you who don't know, Mindy is a writer, actress and producer (among other things). She was a writer and actor on The Office. She now has her own show, The Mindy Project. It's a show about a doctor, (Mindy) who works in New York City and it revolves around her coworkers, relationships and general escapades.

I recently started reading her book Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns). It's basically a book of essays and stories from her life. I think the reason I love it is because it is pretty much a mirror image of what I want my book to be about some day.

Her book gives me hope. This probably sounded really cheesy. Hear me out. I've heard many times about how "the high school losers will rise above all the rest." Yeah, I sure hope so. I seem to remember hearing a fair amount of similar statements from celebrity books, TV shows, interviews etc. Sure it's a nice message. However, most of the time I have a hard time believing it from an Oscar nominated billionaire, perfect faced, American dream celebrity.

Mindy tells her stories about this differently. She wasn't super popular or outstanding in high school. She got made fun of and called names. But she doesn't try to write it with an "it gets better" tone. She writes it just how it was. Her pieces don't end with an inspirational quote or anything. You can see her success by just reading the rest of the book. It's obvious she's made it. However, without internship horror stories or tales of "being almost fired from writing on 'The Office.'" It's very refreshing to read her work.

It makes me think that maybe one day I can be a writer and successfully work in television as well. My dream (one of many) is to be the cool girl at the party with the Tiffany earrings and Chanel purse. The girl who can spend hours telling stories about her misadventures in school and writing. Without having to use a cheesy inspirational statement to get my point across.