Friday, February 22, 2013

"Almost getting it kind of together."

By Taryn

The above quote is a tagline from the HBO series "Girls." "Girls" centers around a twenty something year-old named Hannah, as well as her three friends. I've fallen in love with this show. However, just a warning to all you minors out there, this is definitely not a show that you would want to watch with your parents in the room. I like to describe this show as a "real world version of Sex and the City, without the glamour or the Chanel."

As much as I adore "Sex and the City," I like "Girls" better. It feels genuine and real. It shows a lot of spunky, raw, and real emotion. However my favorite part may just be the tag line, "Almost getting it kind of together." As much as I would love to pretend that this doesn't apply to my life in any way, shape, or form. I couldn't say that without my nose growing about three sizes. At any age life is messy. I'd say most nights I fall asleep at night feeling like life has totally just kicked my ass. However, I force myself to get out of bed in the morning and attempt to accomplish something productive that day. I actually kind of enjoy this phenomenon in my life. It forces me to keep striving for excellence. Just like Hannah I want to be a writer, but that's not as easy as I once thought that it would be. I used to think that just scribbling down my thoughts and feelings on paper would be good enough. I was so wrong. I feel like the disorder and challenges in life is what is what makes us successful. Without it I sure wouldn't have anything to write about.

What I love about this show is that it shows this. Hannah and her friends aren't perfect, yet at the end of the day she knows that everything will be okay. In my opinion this show isn't just for the millennial generation. Life's bitchiness knows no age. The challenges in this show span across the generations. We've all gotten our heart broken or have been overwhelmed by work that we just don't want to do. Hannah gets this. Sometimes the best that we can do is just to attempt to get ourselves together. I don't know about you, but doing that is good enough for me.

Get it together.