Friday, December 23, 2011

All I Want for Christmas . . .


I know, it’s crass and, yes, my mother brought me up to have better manners than this, but I’m going to do it anyway. I’m going to tell you what I would like you to give me for Christmas. It’s a simple gift and it won’t cost you a dime. So, here’s my gift request: Would you please stop talking, texting and checking your email on your cell phone while you’re driving?

Despite the fact that California has banned talking on a cell while driving (except when using a hands-free device) and texting while driving, yakkers and text tappers are more prevalent than ever. I’m sure you’ve seen them, the driver who instead of looking straight ahead through the windshield is gazing down at their lap looking at their iPhone while waiting for the light to change. The driver who is holding their phone to their ear with their right hand while they palm the steering wheel with their left to make that turn and perhaps, worst of all, the person who is tapping out a text message on their Blackberry while behind the wheel and moving down the road.

So do you think it’s a little forward of me to be asking for this gift? Those of you who engage in these practices are some of my closest and dearest friends. So, let me give you a friendly reminder that all it takes to be law abiding in this regard is not to text and, if you insist on talking while driving, to buy a bluetooth headset or a wired earpiece. Yet, I’m always astounded by the number of people who drive late model BMW’s, Mercedes or Range Rovers who apparently can’t afford an earpiece or a Jupiter Jack. (And if you don’t know what a Jupiter Jack is, it’s time we brought an “As Seen On TV Store” to Coast Village Road.)

(Continue reading)