Tuesday, April 12, 2011

They're All Fit to Lead Something


Over the past weekend Sidney Lumet, the director of some of my all-time favorite films passed away. One of Lumet's credits is "Network" in which Peter Finch's character urges a nation of TV viewers to go to their windows and yell: "I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!"

One of the things I'm mad as hell about these days is that windbag Donald Trump making the ludicrous claim that President Obama wasn't born in the United States. Ever since people started pumping that nonsense a couple of years ago I've always assumed it was just a code among bigots that they didn't like the idea that a black man had become President of the U.S. Now Trump has jumped on the bigot bandwagon evidently pandering to that segment in order to gather support for his latest publicity stunt, his threat to run for President in 2012.

As far as I'm concerned, the only thing Trump is qualified to be president of is The Hair Club for Men. Make that the Bad Hair Club for Men.

Moving from what makes me mad to what I find to be mildly amusing is John Boehner, who at the end of last week's budget negotiations to keep the government up and running, was a constant presence on cable news. To me, Boehner looks less like a Speaker of the House and more like a spokesperson for a nicotine patch ad campaign. I'm sorry, but every time I see him on TV I expect the first words out of his mouth to be: "Hi, I'm John and I'm a smoker."

And don't adjust your TV set. That orange skin tone is his unnatural color.

And then there was Mitt Romney, who on Monday announced that he's running for President. Romney's announcement, which was posted on the Internet, criticized President Obama for not having any experience in the private sector. Romney went on to claim, while looking straight into the camera, that all of his own experience was in the private sector. I guess that the four years he spent as Governor of Massachusetts, during which a comprehensive health car plan was enacted on his watch, is something he'd rather leave off of his resume these days.

Actually, Romney does look like he ought to be heading a government: The government of Canada if it had elected Dudley Do-Right Royal Canadian Mountie as its next Prime Minister.
© 2011 by Craig Smith and www.craigsmithsblog.com