Friday, February 04, 2011

Diary of a Mad Film Goer


Thursday afternoon, I went to the Arlington to see Women In Temptation, which reportedly is the top grossing movie in the Czech Republic, even outperforming "Avatar."

It's the story of three generations of single women; a marriage counselor who has been abandoned by her husband, her 20-something daughter and, grandma, a sensuous septuagenarian. The vibrant urbanscape of a cosmopolitan town is the backdrop as they prowl for men.

In other words, Czechs And The City.

There were so many women in the theater to watch the 1 pm screening of this movie it looked like they had brought in the studio audience from Oprah.

I halfway expected Film Fest Director Roger Durling to take the stage and announce that everyone in attendance was getting a free car.

No car, but we were rewarded with a very funny and entertaining movie that was well received by the audience. It was clever and unpredictable. I give it three-thumbs up.

* * *

I miss the Victoria Theater which is out of commission as a Film Fest Venue for this year. Like the Arlington, it takes less than 10 minutes for me to walk there from my house. The convenience factor made putting up with its quirkiness more than worth it.

* * *

In addition to the "turn off your cell phone rule" and the "no texting during the movie rule," I would like to propose an additional rule: No chewing on the ice cubes from your drink during the movie. At Wednesday's matinee at the Metro 4, a guy sitting two seats away from me in the same row was masticating his ice cubes for the first 20 minutes of the movie. Especially annoying when the film you are trying to watch has subtitles.

I tried to give the guy the skunk eye but, no luck. I couldn't help but wonder if his co-workers had taken up a collection to buy him a ticket and get him out of the office for the day.

I know, he was probably wondering the same thing about me.
© 2011 by Craig Smith and www.craigsmithsblog.com