Tuesday, September 07, 2010

The Six Dollar Hamburger Blog


There's a scene in Woody Allen's classic movie Annie Hall where he explains why he won't move from New York to California. "I could never live in a place where the only cultural advantage is that you can make a right turn on a red light."

If I was ever given the chance to respond to him I would pop off that I could never live in a place that didn't have an In-N-Out Burger. But while visiting New York City this past holiday weekend I had the chance to try Five Guys. How does it compare to In-N-Out? Well, let me put it this way. Lack of a stand-out hamburger chain is no longer an excuse for not moving back east.

I first heard of Five Guys when President Obama took NBC's Brian Williams there as he picked up lunch for his White House office staff. I can confirm, the President treats his staff very well. At least when it comes to eating.

The Five Guys burger struck me as a jucier, messier and yes, tastier burger than In-N-Out. And the garnishes, which they don't charge extra for, are outlandish. They even throw on grilled mushrooms which reminds me of another well-known burger from Santa Barbara's bygone days. The "May Burger," which they used to serve at the Creekside when it was known as "The Falls."


Never miss another one of my blog posts, subscribe to Craig Smith's Blog by Email



Of course at $6.29 it's roughly about twice the price of its In-N-Out counterpart, the Double-Double.   Five Guys has a smaller single patty burger which will set you back $4 bucks and change. 

Five Guys probably has something to learn in the "green" department. The burger came wrapped in aluminum foil, even though I was eating it "for here" and not "to go."

Being environmentally conscious is no longer just for the alfalfa sprouts and mashed yeast crowd anymore.

© 2010 by Craig Smith and www.craigsmithsblog.com