Thursday, May 07, 2009

Thursday 9:30 pm Fire Update


Watching TV, keeping an eye on the Internet and smelling the smoke outside, I get the definite sense that the Jesusita Fire is worsening.



People checking the fire information kiosk at Paseo Nuevo earlier today.


As I write this the fire has reportedly been moving west and hopped Highway 154. The highway has just been shut down. Earlier when I was outside, big flakes of ash were falling on the Mesa.

KEYT is reporting that the fire is 10 percent contained, which I find a little hard to believe.

I have to say though that KEYT has really stepped up its fire coverage. Both KSBY and KCOY are carrying regular network programming. KEYT is the only TV station that has preempted its network schedule to carry continuous fire news.

Continuously updated info on closures and evacuation areas is at the County's Fire Website.