Monday, January 12, 2009

Maybe He Can Recommend Some Good Lotto Numbers?


One of the nice things about having good friends is that when you're wrong they never let you forget it.

Last night, no sooner than it was announced that Mickey Rourke won a Golden Globe for best actor, Santa Barbara Film Festival executive director Roger Durling was e-mailing me to ask; "What was it you said about my choice to honor him earlier this year"

In case you missed it, what I said was; "I have to confess that when I first heard that actor Mickey Rourke was going to be one of the featured honorees at the upcoming Santa Barbara Film Festival the first thought that crossed my mind was, "What? Gary Busey wasn't available?"

Roger, that phone you hear ringing is Gary Busey, calling to see if he can get on the honoree's list for next year's festival.

In the meantime, I'm adding Wild Orchid and 9 1/2 weeks to my Netflix queue.

The Mickey Rourke comeback tour will be making its next stop in Santa Barbara on Saturday, January 31st, at the Arlington.

* * *

Kate Winslet who won a Golden Globe last night for Best Actress in a dramatic role and Sally Hawkins who beat out Meryl Streep in a Golden Globe's upset, are also coming to this year's Film Fest. Winslet will receive the Montecito Award on Friday, January 23. Hawkins will be among the Virtuosos honored on Wednesday, January 28.