Friday, January 09, 2009

Laid Off Gossip Columnist Responds


Early Friday morning I received an e-mail through my blog from Richard Mineards, who I reported yesterday had been laid off from his position as gossip columnist for the Santa Barbara News-Press.

Here is what he had to say:
My attention has been drawn to two items you have written in the past couple of days about my lay-off from the News-Press.

Firstly, my salary was nowhere near the figures you have been quoted.

On top of my weekly column, which I increased in size to a full half page, I hosted special events on News-Press TV, as well as co-hosting "Around the World" on AM-1290 with Arthur von Wiesenberger each week, a radio show which recently won a major travel industry award.

As to the column itself, given I have written and done commentary on national TV on the British Royal Family for 35 years, I was actually asked to include more royal items in the column because of local interest.

However, most of the column was undoubtedly devoted to local stories and events.

I have enjoyed my time at the News-Press and believe the column drew attention to the many wonderful individuals and cultural joys of Santa Barbara, which most people seem to have appreciated.

Richard Mineards
Montecito

Let me take this opportunity to thank Mineards for writing to me and wish him good luck.

P.S. Mineards plans to continue to co-host the "Around the World" travel show on AM 1290 with Arthur von Wiesenberger, as well hosting pieces on News-Press TV.