Friday, March 22, 2013

Graydon Carter, Watch Out!

By Taryn

If I were a magazine I would be Vanity Fair. Vanity Fair is glamorous, full of entertainment and pop culture news, but also has real journalism in it. It's everything I could want out of a publication. I know that this sounds kind of crazy but I want to be the editor-in-chief of Vanity Fair when I grow up. It's one of the only careers in writing that I've heard pays a lot.

I would love nothing more than to be in charge of making Vanity Fair the best magazine that it can be. (In the spirit of full disclosure I also dream to live in a fancy New York City apartment and possessing immense amounts of fancy clothes and luxury items. The parties and events I would get to go to also wouldn't hurt.)

We've all had lofty dreams as little kids, (or as adults). Over my 17 years of life I've had many dreams and aspirations of what I'd like to be when I grow up. I have previously dreamed of being a ballerina, President of the U.S., a figure skater, among many other things. I may sometimes take the notion that, "You can do anything that you set your mind to do," a little too literally. I blame that on my parents. I think that they have too much faith in me.

I have always loved to write. This may be because I often get a little tongue-tied when I talk in public. (I can also spell check and use some big impressive words when I write.) Recently I've been trying to think of what I need to do in order to turn my little blogging hobby into a (somewhat) lucrative career. Needless to say, this is turning out to be a much more difficult task than I had originally thought.

Realistically a rise from being teen blogger to big shot Vanity Fair editor won't happen over night. I have been looking into some Vanity Fair internships, but you have to be in college to do that and I'm a junior in high school. For now I am still on the hunt for an internship or part time job that has to do with writing or pop culture.

Every writer has his or her muse. Excellence is mine. I don't want to be good or great at what I do, I want to be extraordinary. I know that I have to keep that drive to reach my dreams. My aspirations may be big, but my drive for excellence and motives are much larger.

Some people may wonder why I have such big dreams or even write a blog that I don't get paid to do, when I could have a "real" job. This is because within the past year I've been told that I wasn't intelligent and basically didn't have much of a future. However, I know better. Success is the best vindication, and one day I hope to prove that the people who doubted me were wrong. When I start to get down on myself I tell myself this, "Sleep tight and don't worry about the rest, because one day they'll know that you're the best of the best."