Wednesday, March 23, 2011

The Sound Turns Five!


I'm not a betting man, but if you had asked me back in March of 2006, if the Daily Sound, which had just started up then, would be around in five year's time I would have said, "no."

It was nothing personal, it's just that five years ago when people were fleeing the newspaper industry like it was a burning building, Jeramy Gordon, the then 23-year old founder of the paper, was rushing into that smoldering building with the intent of making himself at home.

Well, I'm happy to say I was wrong. The Daily Sound turns five-years old today. Happy Birthday Sound and congratulations to Gordon.

Gordon and the Sound had some luck. The implosion of the News-Press a mere four-months after the Sound debuted meant that readers who abandoned the Wendy McCaw owned paper as a matter of conscience had an alternative for daily news in print form.

They've done a solid job in reporting the major news stories around town and they've had some great columnists who have written for them.

I'm sure it's been a struggle at times given the economy in the past five years and the descending fortunes of the newspaper industry in general, but the Daily Sound has lasted.

Cue up Gloria Gaynor singing "I Will Survive!"
© 2011 by Craig Smith and www.craigsmithsblog.com