Friday, March 11, 2011

For Those With iPad2 Fever, Keep the Old Tablet


When the iPad was originally introduced a little over year ago I was among those who pooh-poohed it. I saw it as strictly a consumption device. Its on-screen keyboard, which I found difficult to type on, didn't lend itself to creating content. In other words it wasn't a tool for blogging.

Although there was no initial attraction I eventually got seduced. I broke down and bought one last August. I've never regretted it. Now the only way you can take it away from me would be to pry it from my cold dead hand. Good luck.

It is my constant companion that I take everywhere. Two semesters worth of law school lecture notes and room for plenty more. No need to bother with subscriptions to magazines or newspapers. I can read pretty much anything that I want to on my iPad. I watch video clips on it. I listen to music. If it could only brew a cappuccino for me first thing in the morning.

Yes sad but true. I have once again gotten drunk on the Apple Kool-Aid. Just the same you won't find me in line at the Apple store on State Street waiting to buy the new iPad2 which goes on sale today. Maybe I'm old school but you can't convince me that something I just plunked down $500 for six months ago is now suddenly obsolete. Sure. I'd like to be a little thinner, lighter and faster but not at these prices and not before I've gotten my money's worth out of my present iPad.

But I sense that I may be in the minority. There doesn't seem to be any shortage of people who are willing to drop their old iPads like hot potatoes and get the new model. Suddenly on craigslist all sorts of iPads are being listed for sale. Even the New York Times is giving advice on how to clean and sell your old iPad.

Warner Brothers agonized for weeks on whether to give Charlie Sheen the heave-ho. iPad owners are deciding in a New York minute to dump their old devices so they can get the new one. And you thought nothing was shorter than a Hollywood marriage.

I'm sticking with the iPad I have now. No, "ifs," "ands" or "buts" about it. But if anyone out there wants to make me an offer that you think I can't refuse, well, you know how to find me.
© 2011 by Craig Smith and www.craigsmithsblog.com