Tuesday, July 20, 2010

It's Not The Guns, It's The Rat-A-Tat-Tat


One of the recent stories in the news that caught my attention was last week's protest in front of one of the downtown Starbucks stores against the company's policy of permitting people to openly carry unloaded guns in their stores.



It's not that I've ever been one to cling to guns but, coffee is my religion.

Fortunately for me, I've had more coffee shop run-ins with people talking loudly on their cell phones than with people packing heaters.


Never miss another one of my blog posts, subscribe to Craig Smith's Blog by Email


In fact, it's not the guns that would ever keep me out of the coffee shops. It's the Guns N' Roses.Nothing worse than to walk into a coffee shop in search of a little tranquility only to have the Headbanger's Ball break out.

There's nothing that will have me fleeing a fancy coffee place faster than loud bad music. Not that Starbucks has been an egregious offender when it comes to the music they play. In fact, some of what they put out over their loudspeakers is as saccharine as the Sweet N' Low that you pour into your coffee. But some other places in town, that shall remain nameless, have me screaming, "Bring back the Muzak!"

Rage Against The Machineplaying at 8:30 in the morning only makes me want to, rage against the espresso machine. And Limp Bizkit?Let me go on the record as being firmly against them.

It's not just the heavy metal groups that will have me gathering up my belongings and heading out the door. Bobby Goldsboro's '60's hit, Little Thingsis pretty damn annoying too. Of course, if you remember that song, then you're as old as I am.

So now that I've gotten that off of my chest, I'd like to take this opportunity to remind all of my favorite baristas that at a coffee shop, the only thing that should get you going is the espresso, not the music.

© 2010 by Craig Smith and www.craigsmithsblog.com