Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Weighing In On A New Topic


If you've landed on this page this morning in search of the latest poop on the News-Press, the latest word on what Wendy McCaw and "Santa Barbara's Best Kept Man" may be up to, or simply to find out what UCSB grad is anchoring at a major cable news network, then move along folks, there's nothing here to see.

Yesterday evening, while in my own bathroom, I witnessed something that I had never seen before in my entire life. My bathroom scale hitting the 200 pound mark. Worst of all, I was standing on top of it at the precise moment this dubious milestone occurred.

For the first time in my life, I checked in at two bills. So frightened was I that I did a bunny hop into the air and off the scale.

Gingerly, I reset the digital read out and stepped on the scale again, this time slowly, and there it was again, "200." I was terrified. More terrified about tipping 200 than I am about the possibility of a certain newspaper publisher sneaking a severed horse's head into my bed.

Now when people ask if blogging has changed my life I can now give them 200 examples of how.

By its nature, blogging entails long hours of sitting on one's can, and I apparently have a lot of can to sit on these days.

But it's not just blogging that's put me into the 200 club. As I think back over the last three weeks I've spent a lot of time sitting in a chair grading exams, sitting in airplane seats, and sitting in airport lounges waiting to take my seat on an airplane. Not to mention the fact that, I like to eat. It all adds up. And up.

It's a big deal to me because two days ago I was 195. And it wasn't all that long ago that I hovered around 175.

Now I have about as much chance of ever seeing 175 again as the News-Press has of seeing 40,000 circulation return.

The paper grading and the air travel are both behind me (as is the 200 pounds). No more excuses not to get out and exercise more. I'll keep you posted on my progress. But for starters I'm going to bed early tonight.

When the going gets tough, the tough go off to dreamland.