Friday, June 20, 2008

I Interrupt This Blog To Bring You This Commercial Message


In September it will be three years since I started this blog. One question that I'm constantly asked is "do you make any money from your blogging?" The answer has always been something like, "well, er, uh, no."

I've said it here before, the only "paid bloggers" I know of are the one's who write their blogs while at their day jobs. Then last week I read a story in the L.A. Times about the "Perez Hilton" blog. According to that article, "advertisers pay as much as $54,000 to run a one-day ad package on the site." I saw that and started thinking "break me off a piece of that biscuit!"

You may have noticed that for the past couple of months ago I've been running an ad in the right hand column for Santa Barbara/Ventura Colleges of Law where I teach. That experiment has seemed to work out well for both of us so this seems to be a good time to expand it.

You can learn more about placing an ad on my blog at my advertising page. Or you can drop me a line.

I now return you to our regular programming.

* * *

With the Lakers losing to the Celtics in the NBA finals the only thing I want to remember about this series is that E-Trade Baby commercial.



And no, that's not one of my new advertisers. Just like the ad.

* * *

The other day I mentioned that News-Press sportswriter Kevin Merfeld resigned to take a position in the Monterey area. I'm told that when associate editor "Larry The Cable Guy" was informed of the fact he became concerned and went to Merfeld and asked him if anything was wrong.

Other than the fact that you kept him as a temporary employee for a full year?

* * *

Now that a federal court of appeals has curtailed the ability of employers to read employees' e-mails, maybe Travis Armstrong will stop reading the e-mails of former News-Press employees and publishing them in his column?

* * *

On Wednesday the Teamsters Union, which represents the newsroom employees of the News-Press was running ads on local radio stations KTYD, KSBL and KTMS.

Wonder how long it will be before Armstrong is welcoming Rincon Broadcasting, which owns the three stations to "The Cabal?"