Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Reports of My Demise Have Been Greatly Exaggerated

More than a few of you have seemed to notice that I've been AWOL from this blog for a few days.

I'm sure you're not interested in hearing a lot of excuses so I won't bother making any other than to say that when I got back from China one of my readers had sent me an email warning about "the worst jet lag you'll ever experience." Even though there's a 16 hour time difference between here and Beijing I thought I had dodged it but it suddenly, and seemingly out of nowhere, hit me like a ton of bricks.

Not only has my get up and go gotten up and left its been locked out of the building tighter than Wendy McCaw has locked out those fired News-Press journalists. Hopefully, I won't have to wait for a court injunction to bring it back to work for me.

So the bottom line is that since last Thursday, I've had about one good post in me, and I sent that over to the Daily Sound where it appears today.

Yesterday I managed to drag myself and my ever expanding back porch out of bed and down to the Hotel Santa Barbara to listen to the announcement of the line-up for this year's Santa Barbara International Film Festival which begins two weeks from tomorrow.

There's nothing like an offer of free coffee, juice and bagels to get a guy out of bed in the morning.

Besides the press types (after all it was a "press conference") among those showing up for the announcement were mayor Marty Blum, council member Helene Schneider and city administrator Jim Armstrong.

I guess the free coffee, juice and bagels trick works equally well with public servants.

Besides the announcement of a program of more than 200 films which festival director Roger Durling described as "probably the most ambitious film festival we’ve done,” this year's festival poster was also unveiled.


That's Barbara Boros, who designed the poster standing next to it.

(And yes, I'm taking a page out of the News-Press book. When you don't have a lot of news to report, fill the space with nice pictures!)

I'll be writing more about the Festival as it grows closer both here and over at the Daily Sound.

In the meantime, the complete listing of the films and honorees in this year's program can be found over at Edhat.

In other news, you might have missed it but state senate candidate Jim Dantona has dropped out of that race.

There's a News-Press angle to that story, because as recently as two months ago editorial page editor Travis Armstrong was using his column to tout Dantona's chances against former assembly member Hannah-Beth Jackson, the other democrat in the race.

I guess the prospect of the support of the News-Press wasn't enough to persuade Dantona to stay in the race.

Return to top of page E-Mail Me Print This Page