Wednesday, March 27, 2013

My Life as an Intern

By Taryn

Up until recently when I heard the word "intern" I immediately imagined young adults running around getting coffee for their bosses and basically doing anything that they were asked to do in order ensure a good letter of recommendation. I have recently learned that this is not true at all. I have just started interning for a freelance writer, the wonderful Leslie Westbrook.

Being an intern can be hard but I know that I'm extremely lucky to have this opportunity at such a young age. So far my job has entailed a lot of challenging work. I've been editing a manuscript, which is turning out to be a much tougher feat than I had previously anticipated. I also have gotten to scour the web researching various topics and people. I think that if this whole writing career doesn't work out, I'll just become a private investigator. However, attempting to be Santa Barbara's hardest working intern has its downside. I haven't gone to sleep before 1 am since I started interning. I wake up early and go to bed late, and I have about tripled my previous daily caffeine intake. I am officially attached to my iPhone and one of the first things I do when I wake up is roll over and check my email. To most people my age this may sound like torture, but I love it.

I still can't let myself forget that I have other responsibilities. I have school and this blog as well. I say that I'm part-time intern, part-time blogger, part-time student, but full-time Taryn. I could go on forever about how awesome this internship is, but at the same time how challenging it is, or how much I am learning. I would love to keep rambling on, but you'll have to excuse me, I have a lot of editing and deadlines that I will have to push myself to make. In other words, I have work to do, and I'm not talking about coffee runs.